Church Secretary / Accountant
Anza First Southern Baptist Church
General Requirements and Comments
- The Secretary/Accountant must be a mature, dedicated Christian and faithful to the ministry of our local fellowship, Anza Baptist Church.
- The nature of the office requires that the Secretary/Accountant be wise, prudent and loyal; and recognize the need for great confidentiality in the affairs of this office.
- The office of Secretary/Accountant is a visual representation of our church and its fellowship, and an important testimony to our community. Wisdom, patience, and Christian attitude in all affairs and matters pertaining to this office should be exercise at all times.
- The personal appearance and conduct of the Secretary /Accountant must be exemplary of Christian values and morals.
- The Secretary shall be directly responsible to the Pastor for Secretary assignment of duties and responsibilities, and the Treasurer for Accountant duties and responsibilities.
- The Secretary/Accountant will not perform work for organizations or offices within the Church unless the work assignment has been approved by the Pastor or Treasurer.
- Must be a professing believer in Jesus Christ and currently a member in good standing of Anza Baptist Church for at least 6 months.
- Must be emotionally and spiritually mature and demonstrate Christian conduct and attitude.
- Previous Church Secretary/Accounting experience preferred, but not necessary.
- Neat appearance and pleasant disposition.
- Receptionist skills: receiving people warmly, pleasant phone manners, and willingness to assist with projects.
- Basic secretarial skills for correspondence and professionally correct written communications.
- Basic understanding of church government and general ministry needs of people.
- Maintaining designated office hours
- Telephone communications
- Filing of records and documents
- Typing of materials and letters
- Overseeing the weekly bulletin
- Preparation of a monthly newsletter.
- Ordering and dispensing of office supplies
- Responsibility for mail and dispersion to general officers
- Maintaining an on-going calendar of church activities
- Compiling of reports of committees and general officers for presentation at the quarterly business meetings
- Assisting the pastor with personal letters, materials, and other forms of communication.
- Scheduling pastor's weekly appointments
- Special projects, as assigned by the pastor.
Church Secretary – Reporting to Pastor;
The primary duties of the Church Secretary position will be to provide general secretarial skills for the administrative needs of the Church and to serve as a personal secretary to the office of Pastor.
Typing skills should be above average: 50 words per minute.
Filing and organizational skills for efficient office management.
Basic computer knowledge for letter composition, bulletin preparation, posters, advertisers, and resource sources.
Previous experience with office equipment, care and light maintenance of copiers, computers, and printers.
Assist with pastoral counseling on rare occasions.
Must comprehend and understand the need to maintain confidentiality.
Flexibility — able to adjust to a variety of people, conditions, circumstances, and special programs.
Specific Duties Will Include;
The orderly and efficient management of the church office
Accountant – Reporting to the Church Treasurer;
An Accountant helps The Church make critical financial decisions by collecting, tracking, and correcting The Church’s finances. To be successful in this role, you should have previous experience with bookkeeping and the ability to spot numerical mistakes.
- Manage accounting transactions
- Publish financial statements in a timely manner
- Ensure timely bank and bill payments
- Payroll, submit hourly employees hours worked to our outside payroll company
- Reinforce financial data confidentiality
- Conduct backups when necessary
- Comply with financial policies and regulations.
Requirements and skills;
- Work experience as an Accountant is preferred
- Knowledge of accounting regulations and procedures, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Hands on experience with accounting software, QuickBooks
- Experience with general ledger functions
- Strong attention to detail and good analytical skills